Baths! You love them or you hate them.
I LOVE them. And I love letting my boys take baths as well. They love bubbles and lots of toys. I prefer mine a bit more low key ;).
One thing about our bath time is the same though. And it’s the things we add to our baths to help support our body.
Our skin is our largest organ and it is covered in pores. Our skin has the ability to absorb whatever it is we put on it or keep against it. Studies have shown that products put on your skin can be found in every cell of your body within 20 minutes. That’s crazy!
When it comes to detoxing (or drawing toxins out of your body), your skin is able to purge toxins just as readily as it absorbs them. When taking a warm bath our pores expand and open up making it even more able to absorb and purge. So what are the best things to add to a bath?
1. Epsom salt. This isn’t like table salt. This is magnesium in its crystal form. Magnesium has so many benefits and current data states that 80% of the population is deficient in magnesium. Adding Epsom salts to your bath allows your body to absorb the magnesium better than taking a magnesium supplement orally. It also works at pulling toxins out of the body and it excellent for aiding in detoxification. Epsom salts are also safe for babies! I add two large handfuls of Epsom salts to my toddlers bath and two cups to my own bath. Epsom salts are inexpensive and found at most stores (and amazon!).
2. Baking soda. Baking soda helps neutralize the minerals in your water and helps soften hard water. It is also very alkaline and helps draw toxins out of the body. I add a small handful to my toddlers bath and up to a cup in my own.
3. Bentonite clay. Bentonite clay not only has its own nutrients that are able to soothe our skin, but it is also known to bond with toxins and especially with heavy metals. I add clay to our baths about once a month or when I am having a flare and need extra support. I use 1/2 cup. I order ours from amazon.
4. Essential oils. Essential oils are unique in their chemical makeups and molecules. Each oil brings it own healing and supports different functions within the body. Depending on what we are needing that day our oils vary. General wellness, soothing, and support? Lavender, Frankincense, and Gentle Baby. Immune support during illness? Thieves or RC. Achey and dealing with sore muscles? Copaiba and Peppermint can be very soothing. Stressed to the max? My favorites are Release, Surrender, and Sara. I order all of our essential oils from Young Living. If you are brand new to oils, message me and I’m happy to help you get started. Ready to grab your own oils? Go here.
5. Bubbles. Okay so bubbles may not be detoxifying but they sure are fun! It’s so important to make sure your bath products are non toxic. I use Young Living’s seedlings line for the little ones and for bubbles we use California Baby.
6. Hydrate! Make sure you are not dehydrated prior to taking a detox bath. Being hydrated will help your body flush out your toxins. Also drink a full glass of water after taking a detox bath.
Detox baths are easy and relaxing (and fun!). They are definitely a favorite way to help support our bodies and get clean. Rub a dub dub! Let’s all detox in the tub (hey don’t blame me for my corney jokes. Blame my boys!)!